What’s the first thing you do when you’re bored? Though Netflix and Instagram may be interesting in the moment, they’re not in the least productive.
Productive people (like you!) can do much better than scrolling through social media. In this post, I’ve listed 50 productive things you can do when you’re bored. Make sure to bookmark this post so you can come back to it whenever you’re out of things to do.
If you’re ready to get productive, let’s get straight into this list.
- Learn the alphabet to a new language with Duolingo.
- Do practice problems for a class or test.
- Review a stack of flashcards on Quizlet.
- Complete a full practice test from a booklet.
- Go through old essays and improve them.
- Review something you had trouble with in class.
- Read a book (try downloading eBooks from your library).
- Watch a documentary on YouTube.
- Read a Wikipedia article or go down a rabbit hole of them.
- Take an online course on EdX.
- Learn how to knit and knit something.
- Produce a song in GarageBand or Soundtrap (both free).
- Make a scrapbook with Polaroid pictures.
- Learn how to play an instrument.
- Practice an instrument you own.
- Film and post a vlog of your day.
- Write new lyrics for your favorite song.
- Clean and paint your old shoes.
- Write a short story.
- Create your own book.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS POST: Ultimate 5 Day Guide To Become Insanely Productive
- Plan a life-long project (see my ultimate guide to project-planning).
- Give your bedroom a complete makeover.
- Redecorate your bedroom with LED lights and plants.
- Go for a walk and take pictures.
- Cook a meal with a family recipe.
- Take a relaxing bath.
- Practice driving if you don’t have your license yet.
- Organize your computer and digital space.
- Declutter and organize your desk.
- Call a friend/family member you haven’t seen in a while.
- Start a blog (check out my complete how-to guide).
- Join a non-profit organization.
- Volunteer online at the United Nations.
- Start a YouTube channel.
- Build an app from scratch.
- Start an Etsy shop.
- Freelance online through Fiverr.
- Find an internship.
- Publish an eBook on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing.
- Learn about and invest in stocks.
- Write thank-you cards for someone.
- Interview someone and write about it.
- Conduct research about something random.
- Write a letter to your future self.
- Plan out your next 5 years.
- Plan out your next 10 years.
- Practice typing on typing.works.
- Watch a TED Talk.
- Journal (with these 30 prompts).
- Try something new (that’s safe and responsible).
I hope this post was able to give you an idea of what to do the next time you’re bored! If you’re looking for more posts like this, here are a couple of my popular posts:
- 10 Brilliant Habits To Organize Your Entire Life
- 140 Best New Year’s Resolution Ideas For Students
- How To Build Consistency In Everything You Do